Ch.11 reading in book over Congress
Hippocampus Videos on the Legislative Branch
|Composition of the House|
|Committees and the Iron Triangle|
|Composition of the Senate|
|Power, Committees, and Debates|
|Route of a Bill through Congress|
|Veto Power and Judicial Review|
The Redistricting Game
In Class Activities
Monday, September 16 - Who's in Congress?
Tuesday, September 17 - Tentative Test Return, Ch.11 Interesting Question and M.C. Question Development
Wednesday, September 18 - House Simulation - Organizing the House
Thursday, September 19 - House Simulation - Bill Introduction and Committee Work
Friday, September 20 - House Simulation - Committee Work
Monday, September 23 - House Simulation - Committee Work
Tuesday, September 24 - House Simulation - House Floor Debate and Vote
Wednesday, September 25 - Gerrymandering Game
Thursday, September 26 -Discussion Day and Ch.12 Notes Workday
Friday, September 27 -No School Teacher Inservice
DUE Sept 17 - Read Ch.11 and take Cornell notes.
DUE Sept 18 - Complete the Dynamic Legislative Process E-Learning Module in the Resources Section.
DUE Sept 26 - If possible, take the Textbook Online Quiz for Ch.11 on Sept.25 and bring results to class on the 26th.
DUE Sept 25 - Using Bill Website in the Resources Section, Analyze H.R. 1911 from the 113th Congress and answer the following questions:
- Who are the authors of the bill?
- What is the purpose and intent of the bill?
- Where did the bill originate?
- What are the major congressional actions the bill went through?
- Which interest groups have a stake in the outcome of this bill and why?
- Which committee or committees heard the bill in the House of Representatives?
- Is support for the bill divided along political party lines, and if so, why?
- What type of rules were attached to the bill? What does this tell us about who supports the bill in the House of Representatives?
- Who is the chairperson of the committee and who is the ranking member of the minority party on the committee(s) which will hear the bill?
- How many members does each committee have, and how are they divided amongst the two political parties?
- What were the differences between the Senate and House Actions on this bill?
- What was the final vote in each chamber?
- What was the final result of the bill?