Friday, November 7, 2008

Do Schools Have the Right to Search Students’ Lockers?

In this world of increasing violence, even schools are subject to what results from it. There are always just a few people that ruin it for the rest; the ones who use their lockers as a place to stash drugs, alcohol, and even weapons. To fight against this schools have been randomly searching students’ lockers. Some schools even have police dogs that search for them. Schools can open lockers if they have evidence to suspect that something is wrong with a student.

Locker searches are a practical way of trying to keep schools safe, but many people have a problem with them. Many people say that locker searches violate The Fourth Amendment of The Constitution of the United States of America. “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures…” School officials don’t need a warrant or a probable cause to search lockers, but only a reasonable suspicion. If a teacher or school official searches a student who is thought to have drugs, alcohol, or weapons, but turns out clean, that teacher is restricted from searching students any longer. But if a teacher searches a bag or locker for cigarettes, and finds a bong, or pipe, that teacher can continue the search because it is likely that more will turn up. The use of sniffing dogs and metal detectors can be used at anytime because they don’t invade the privacy of the students.

But I believe there are other, better ways to cracking down on the problem of students having illegal things in their lockers. Though I think this should really only be implemented in schools that frequently have the problem of students having illegal substance with them. Principals can have metal detectors installed in the school to detect weapons. There could also be a few security guards who patrol the school. Having metal detectors and security guards would dramatically decrease the crime rate, because knives and guns would be easier caught. To eliminate the drug use of students, there could be a random drug test in the school. The students would be less likely to do drugs if they knew that they could be tested for drugs at any time.

I don’t think random locker searches are the best idea. They invade students’ privacy. And there are better solutions then locker searches. But I do think that if there is proof or a very strong suspicion that a locker or a student has illegal substances or weapons then a school official should be able to initiate a search.



-Regina Philangie

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree. I think schools, along with the police, have EVERY right to search lockers. How would you feel if someone had a gun, and the officials had reasonable suspicion that something was in the locker, and that they could've found by searching, but couldn't due to law and then that student proceeded in killing innocent classmates? Metal detectors and extremely expensive, and to place them at all entrances to the school would be a big burden on the school budget. Besides, it's not like they have drug dog searches very often. If I remember right, there's only been one or maybe two in the three years I have attended this school.

Anonymous said...

I agree with efarmsquack. The alternatives of metal detectors, etc. ARE expensive, and very extreme. Somehow, I think it would take away my rights more to feel like I was walking into a prison (at least, more than in feels like now ;D) and worrying about whether I had metal on my belt than to undergo an occasional (a VERY occasional) search. I agree that there have been a few times when our school has unneccisarily caused searches, but why should we have to go to school every day feeling like we're all going to get shot? Detectors would make me feel like I needed protected. And as to drug tests--I don't want to submit to a drug test. Who would they pick to do it on? Isn't that invasive, as well as time and money consuming?
I have nothing in my locker to hide, and nothing, really, that I feel is particularly "private".
This is not a "right" I have a problem with giving up, whether the alternative be nothing at all or living in fear.
This is school, not your medicine cabinet. Don't bring it, if it's that big of a deal.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the posts above me. I feel that safety in school is much more important than a student's so-called right to privacy. The 4th amendment probably wasn't referring to small issues like locker searches.

Anonymous said...

I disagree with all of you. Do you know how many times police do illegal searches and seizures in people's homes? Believe me, I have way too much experience with that. It one hundred percent violates the fourth amendment, because if they're doing random searches in students lockers for no REAL reason, then they're just having too much fun getting away with breaking the law that they originally promised to protect

Anonymous said...

As much as I hate the rule that the school has the right to search students lockers I believe that it is a good rule because the safety of all the people inside the building is much more important than a students privacy. The lockers belong to the school anyways and the students are just "borrowing" them so with that in mind the school should have the right to search the lockers. If a student has something embarrassing that they wish the school does not see they shouldn't bring it to school and besides that why else would they not let the school search their lockers unless they has something illegal and dangerous in their possession

Anonymous said...

I think they can search your locker because that's technically their property. I don't think they should be able to search your car without a warrant though. That is your personal property. They can't search your house without a warrant so they shouldn't be able to search your car without one.

Anonymous said...

I think that schools should not have the right to search their lockers because I think it is also an invasion of the student's privacy

Anonymous said...

i think schools shouldnt be able to search lockers because the stuff in it is yours and not theirs