Thursday, September 18, 2008

Homeless

During a nice a day in the park, we would notice them lying on dirty newspapers. Their bodies were covered with what it looks like a worn dirty rag. They buried their faces from the light and from the eyes of others to conceal the tears of sadness from their eyes. We see them… and we notice them, but how many times did we stop, and thought of being on their shoes when even meeting their eyes made us a bit uncomfortable or even terrified us.



Homelessness is on of the major issue in the United States. It is difficult to avoid homelessness because it is attached to poverty and other internal and external issues. There were estimated of 744,000 homeless people in the United States during the year 2005. As years passed, the statistic gradually increased. According to the National Alliance to End Homelessness 39% were under 18 years of age, 42% were single adults, and the rest were families. The reasons that lurked on homelessness were poverty, eroding work opportunities, declining in public assistance, housing, lack of affordable health care, domestic violence, mental illness, addiction disorder, abuse and many more. Homeless people are scattered and it seems like there are few of them in one single area but in reality they are not. They hide under the shadows of the streets.


When we ask the question “What can we do to help the homeless?” we think of financial resources. We think of fundraising, volunteering many hours to raise money, or selling simple things like clothes or home baked cookies. There are a lot of ways to help homeless people in a really simple way. I have a personal experience witnessing how a man helped a homeless. This man invited us on a dinner one evening with his family. After we were done eating, he asked for a bag for his two daughters’ left over. On our way out he directly walked to a child lying behind a lamppost and gave the left over. The child pasted a big smile and thanked him graciously. Money is not the only way to help homeless people. Giving leftovers or a simple drink will enlighten them up.


~.Aesthetic Enzeru.~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think single acts of kindness really do make a difference in our world. I really do follow the "my good deed for the day" theory. When I was on vacation in New York once summer, I get a hot dog from a vendor and right when I was about to sit down to eat it on a bench, I saw a homeless man. I got up and gave my hot dog to the man (my dad was kind of mad, but oh well). I didn't care why he was there, what his past was; if it was a good or bad past. I just gave him my hot dog, and I think he really appreciated it.